Don't be put off by the fact that this soup contains sprouts. I'm not particularly keen on sprouts myself but this soup is lovely. Like with all soups the better the stock the tastier the soup and this would be a great post Christmas day soup using stock made from the Turkey bones. If you have Brussels sprouts left over from Christmas day it is a great way of using them up too. If you wanted to make this pre Christmas you could use a chicken or vegetable stock or a good quality stock cube. This soup is particularly good made with game stock.
It's very easy to buy prepared chestnuts or chestnut puree in the supermarkets these days so you don't need to cook and peel the chestnuts yourself.
1 tsp coconut oil
1 large onion peeled and chopped
125ml dry sherry
Himalayan pink salt and freshly ground pepper
1.42 Litres or 2 1/2 pints of good quality stock of your choice
1kg or 2lbs Brussels sprouts
180g chestnuts or chestnut puree
- Melt the coconut oil in a large sauce pan.
- Saute the onion for about 5 minutes until soft and lightly browned.
- Add all of the other ingredients.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Blend in a blender or using a hand held blender.