This delicious and sumptuous Caesar salad would be suitable for dairy free, gluten free, paleo diets or even a detox diets. You can serve this with gluten free croutons using my linseed and almond bread or you can add a tin of beans, or both if you want a really substantial main course salad.
Ingredients (choose organic where possible)
1 large or 2 small romaine lettuce
4 chicken breasts approx. 550-600g ( free range, organic )
30g pine nuts
2 slices of linseed and almond bread cut into cubes
1 tin black eyed beans (optional)
8 anchovy fillets
Ingredients for the dressing
2 egg yolks
30g pine nuts
1/2 to 1 clove garlic
1/4 cup of water
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
freshly ground black pepper
- To cook the chicken put the breasts in an oven proof dish, cover in foil and cook in the oven for 30-35 minutes at 180C until cooked right through. Leave to cool and then cut into bite sized cubes or strips.
- To make the croutons put the bread cubes on a baking tray in a the oven at a low heat and cook until crisp right through, 100C for half an hour or so.
- To make the dressing put the egg yolks, 30g pine nuts, water, lemon juice, salt, pepper and pressed garlic into a Nutri Bullet and whizz until smooth. This will thicken slightly like mayonnaise but it will not be as thick.
- Separate the leaves of the romaine lettuce and wash. Dry thoroughly, tear into smaller pieces and place on a serving dish.
- Arrange the chicken on top the lettuce then sprinkle over the remaining pine nuts and the croutons.
- Drizzle the dressing generously over the whole salad and arrange the anchovies in a crisscross pattern over the top of the dish.