I came up with this rich and exotic recipe in a quest to create a chicken liver pate which isn't laden with cream or butter and I'm more than happy with the results here. This recipe contains apple and avocado, its completely dairy free and could be served readily at any dinner party!
This is great serves with rustic wholegrain sourdough bread heated in the oven for extra crunch. If you are gluten free you can go for your favourite gluten free alternative or serve with gluten free oatcakes.
500g Chicken Livers, organic or locally sourced
60g onions finely chopped
1 granny smiths apple, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp coconut oil
2 tsp of dried sage
1/2 cup of port
1 ripe avocado pear, peeled and stoned
Optional black cherry topping
approx. 18 Opies Black Cherries with Kirsch
12 tsp of the kirsch juice
9 tsp chia seeds
- Melt 1 tsp coconut oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion for 5 minutes.
Add the apple and cook for another 5 minutes then transfer to a food processor.
- Melt another tsp of coconut oil in the pan and fry the livers with the sage until browned but still pink in the middle. Approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the livers to the food processor.
- Add the port to the pan to deglaze and reduce down to 2 tbsp, then add to the food processor.
- Add the avocado to the processor and whizz until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between 6 ramekins and refrigerate.
- Mix the cherries, juice and chia seeds together and stir.
- Leave until the mixture starts to thicken then transfer to a nutribullet and whizz. The mixture will not go totally smooth and you don't want it to either, you want a bit of texture to contrast to the smoothness of the pate.