This recipe is gluten free containing ground almonds instead of flour which will increasing levels of fibre,protein, magnesium, manganese, tryptophan, copper, vitamin B2 and phosphorus. If you replace the sugar with xylitol this recipe would be very suitable for a low GL eating plan. It does however contain butter which is high in saturated fat so best eaten as an occasional treat rather than day to day
200g good quality 70% dark chocolate
125g butter, softened
125g caster sugar or xylitol
4 eggs, separated
200g ground almonds
- Break the Chocolate into pieces in a bowl and set the bowl over simmering water to melt the chocolate, stir from time to time.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Separate the eggs, add the yolk to the butter mixture together with the ground almonds and melted chocolate and mix well.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the chocolate mixture.
- But in a 20cm round tin and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 20 minutes or until done.
- Cool turn out and eat warm or cold