Crumble is a particularly good autumn or winter dessert and an excellent comfort food. A basic crumble recipe can easily be turned into a healthy option by making a few changes to increase nutritional value, reduce its G L (Glycaemic load) as well as adding interest and flavour. Agave syrup and Xylitol are natural low G L alternatives to sugar but without the brain rotting chemicals associated with many artificial sweeteners.
75g all purpose wholemeal flour
50g jumbo oats
1 tsp Sunflower seeds
1 tsp Desiccated coconut
50g Coconut oil or unsalted butter
½ tsp Ground cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 C and lightly oil a deep ovenproof dish.
- Mix together the flour, oats, sunflower seeds and coconut, then rub in the coconut oil or butter. Stir in the sunflower seeds, cinnamon and sugar.
- Prepare fruit and place in ovenproof dish, sweeten as appropriate with the xylitol or agave syrup.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the fruit is soft and the top golden and crisp.
Serve with yoghurt or crème fraiche