Symptoms of poor digestion not only cause discomfort but are a clear indication that you are not digesting your food properly or effectively absorbing their nutrients. Here are 7 simple things you can do to start to improve your digestion now.
1. Start the day with hot lemon and ginger
A mug of fresh hot lemon and ginger will help stimulate saliva, bile and gastric juice production and improve digestion. Ginger can be great if nausea is a problem first thing and can help too with heartburn and acid reflux.
2. Chew your food thoroughly
Aim to chew each mouthful 30 times as this will break down the food, increasing the surface area and allowing digestive enzymes to work effectively aiding both digestion and absorption.
3. Don’t over dilute stomach acid
Drinking too much water or liquids generally whilst eating will dilute stomach acid making protein digestion less efficient.
4. Take time to enjoy your lunch
Take the time to enjoy what you are eating and be mindful about you food. The less stressed you are when eating the better the digestive system will function.
5. Eat Bitter leaves to aid digestion
A salad containing watercress or rocket with a vinaigrette dressing would be a perfect starter at dinner.
6. Include Fermented foods in your diet
Foods like sauerkraut and good quality yogurt or drinks like Kefir and kombucha will help to balance the bacteria in the digestive system, aiding digestion, improving bowel health and boosting the production of important nutrients such as enzymes, B-vitamins, Omega-3 fatty acids, and various strains of probiotics.
7. Check out your food intolerances.Foods which you react to can massively interfere with digestive function and indeed general health.